Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day after the Supreme Court....

The trip to the court didn't go exactly as I hoped, but it still was worth it. Despite our arrival at the court at ~6:30am, we were too far back in line to get seats. So, we spent the day outside. In spite of that disappointment it was time well spent.

We had the opportunity to speak with the opposition, various law students and teachers, a high school government class, and the media. Also, just being there in support of all the victims families who couldn't make the trip or don't know this is even happening helps as well. The family of Cole Cannon was there, and it was good to be there and offer them support as well.

The early reports from the court are that no one knows what will happen. There doesn't seem to be a clear read on the hearings. They may end JLWOP for 14 year olds. They may end JLWOP for everyone under 18. They may choose to do nothing and leave it to the states. They may impose guidelines for these sentences for states to implement when this sentence is reached. Depending on which of the above is the outcome, my sister's killer and many more may get parole hearings granted. Then we'll get to go back to court to deal with this tragedy all over again.

Some of you know, I've been trying to get to a place in my heart where I can accept that he may go free. I'm still struggling with that, but I'm trying.

I ended up taking most of today off work. I have a horrible tension headache and I didn't really sleep. These are both probably from the stress of the past few days, including my cat's sudden death just before the trip.

I think I need another break from this whole deal to get it together. I'll probably post more when the court rules if not sooner.

FYI. There were 2 documentaries filming at the court. One on LWOP and one on JLWOP. If I hear more about their release I will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment